First Baptist Church was organized in 1817 by several families from the Mount Zion Church in Mineral Wells. After a few years meeting in homes, the congregation built its first permanent building--a wood frame building at 6th and Ann Streets. Following the Civil War, the congregation bought property at Ninth and Market Street where the current building--completed in 1878--still stands.
First Baptist Church was the site of the formation of the West Virginia Baptist Convention. A sign on the front of the building attests to this historical occasion. The building was added to the National Register of Historical Places in 1982.
The congregation acknowledges its strategic place in the downtown to be an effective agent of God's grace. Cooperation is sought with other churches, community organizations, businesses and city government to care for the needy, to support area ministries, and to advance the kingdom of God.